Wednesday, May 4, 2011

PORK!

I realize I'm the odd ball on this one but I do not like pig (bacon, sausage, ham, etc BLEH GROSS! :P (the face with the tongue hanging out is for added emphasis on the yuck)). However, there is one thing I can not get enough of; SHREDDED PORK!! Like the pork barbacoa salad (or burrito) from Cafe Rio. It's soo sooooooo good. Fortunately, for those of us not lucky enough to have one close by, there are tons of recipes on-line that mimic the goodness of the DELICIOUS shredded pork.



So today is the day of the pig. I had a shredded pork sandwich from Willies which is delicious (in case you're in Texas and want something good. In which case you have to (HAVE TO!) get their fried jalapenos as well, they're life changing good), and last night I put some pork roast in the crock pot (it actually said "pork butt" on the package, LOL HILARIOUS!), my fantastic husband got the rest of the ingredients, and so we are having shredded pork salads (Cafe Rio style) TONIGHT!! After all of this I will turn into a little porker myself :D I'M SO EXCITED!!!



In case you don't have a recipe, here's the one I use and it's delicious (I got it from my Aunt Marla who lives in Utah so she's able to compare to the original)!



Pork:
5-6 lb pork roast
1 Tbsp cumin
1 cup brown sugar
12 oz. bottle La Victoria Taco sauce
20 oz. bottle Coke
Cook roast on low for 12 hours in crock pot with water added half way up roast. After 12 hours, drain water off roast and add remaining ingredients and continue cooking for 4 more hours. Then shred the meat and cook for 2 more hours. (you can also cooks it on HIGH for 3-4 hours in water, drain the water out, shred it, add ingredients, and cook on HIGH for another 2-3 hours.)

Rice:
4 tsp chicken bouillon
4 tsp garlic minced
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1 can green chili
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion
Blend ingredients in blender then put pan on stove and add 3 cups water and bring to a boil. then add 3 cups minute rice and simmer for 30 min.



Tomatillo Dressing:

1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

1 C buttermilk

1 C Mayo

1-2 Tomatillos

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped

1/2 t lime juice

1/2 to 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed

Blend all together in a blender or food processor.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I have been wanting this recipe for so long! Thank you soooo much :-)

    ReplyDelete